ArtCaffe is not the problem;neither are the croissants!



So today for the very first time I get to learn about a certain ArtCaffe that is being accused of racism and selective discrimination in Nairobi.

 Apparently, ArtCaffe became operational in 2009, and it has since extended to four main branches; Westlands, Gigiri, Junction and Karen. You see, the reason I may be hearing about it for the first time today is because those are not my ‘normal visit/frequented’ places! Perhaps if it was about Paul’s Cookie Man’s Bakery on Tom Mboya Street or the pastry shop at the Nairobi Naivasha stage, I’d be well conversant!

For the few times I have been to the Village Market, I do not remember taking any drink or snack there. 

Not that I do not love pastry; I always have to resist myself from taking a croissant from one of ‘the state-of-art’ bakeries here in Paris. A simple butter croissant goes for a cool 1 or 2 euros! Now imagine if I took two daily!

 But what amazes me is that, I haven’t at any given time been refused the pleasure of buying one, or being limited to quantity, because of my skin color here in France. It therefore amazes me to hear that a client has been detained for buying one too many a croissant, reason being that he is BLACK!!!!

I am thinking that the worst form of discrimination would be one received in one’s country, and to make matters worse, from a fellow compatriot with the same skin color! I have been trying to look out everywhere what kind of discrimination that is called, but I still haven’t found. If you know the name, kindly inform me.My learned friend Emma tells me it is more of inferiority complex. 

I have seen  numerous, persistent complaints about ‘black’ people in Nairobi being harassed, completely ignored or denied entry or access to ‘RESERVED’ tables  awash on the internet;TripAdvisor,ArtCaffe’s Facebook page, Twitter etc. and  some date over two years. Why there has been no remarkable change after such serious complaints is worrying.

I do not know the origin of the bakery, but going by the name, it must be of European origin, maybe Italian or Spanish, or Mexican. I also do not know who their management team is; whether black/Kenyans or white. I do not know which work ethics they employ in their business. Perhaps they need to be investigated to establish where this passive/aggressive behavior being portrayed by their employees is coming from. May be the employees are just giving back to the community what they get from their employers. But I will not try to interfere with Atwoli’s work lest he sends me his goons! I am a coward and I lack the courage of one hero, Boniface Mwangi!
But I will try to explore a few issues about our Society   that came up while I was reading the ArtCaffe story;

 Lack of Civility 
Our society is lacking in civility; it is not only in the hospitality industry. Respect has decayed and all our manners are gone. We do not treat each other with respect and kindness. Our speeches and behavior lack basic formal politeness and courtesy. We resort to name calling in case of disagreement, quarrel, snipe and love to gossip. All these are forms of incivility. Every day, I see people on social media talk disrespectfully about their house helps, watchmen, gardeners, security guards etc. Does it occur to you that every human being deserves respect? Why would it hurt when you get mistreated or why should the whole world react while you advocate for the same in your own home or workplace? You see, Martin Luther once said, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”  We need to break this vicious cycle, perhaps by adopting the mantra, ‘Do unto others as you would wish to have done to you’. We need to make sacrifices to be able to live together or we ‘perish together as fools’. Having good manners is determined by one’s morals, and the treatment of others reflects our morality. Let us learn to regard each other’s as equals before law and God.

‘Mzungu is a rich man mentality’ 
You see, this problem is not only at ArtCaffe but almost everywhere in Kenya. How many times have you seen a white person being allowed to bypass security checks while the rest of us have to go through it? What makes the security personnel think that a white person should be treated as first class citizens? How many times have waiters/other staff handed the bill to a white man who is being accompanied by a black date? Do they think that a white man always has money and is loaded and that any lady accompanying a white man is just some broke, lazy, gold digger? Gender and racial difference; We need to discuss these issues openly, through media or awareness campaigns to avoid such unwarranted embarrassments in our own country. 

Widening gap between the rich and the poor 
 You will agree with me, most of those who have been to ArtCaffe are not your ‘average ‘Kenyans. They are not Mathare or Kibra residents neither; these are some stylish, classic middle class people who are looking for a place to relax comfortably, getting quality service at a price (or let me just say,  where they get value for their money).Hospitality industries are so demanding in terms of working hours, and most of the time the employees maybe under stress to deliver. In this case, a few errors may be understandable, but when it becomes the norm you ask yourself what could be wrong. With the growing middle class in Kenya today who can afford lifestyles which were primarily for white people, those working in such places may treat the clients in a bad way since they could be receiving lesser pay and benefits .I am not saying that there should be same salary for all work, but is possible those employees live harder lives and lack in higher education than the middle class. This doesn’t excuse uncivil behavior, but it depicts the pressure those working in such industries would be facing and hence their actions. 


It is sad that society is become more and more incivil, and technology is
making it worse. We are resorting too much to the computers and internet and failing to interact more with others. We love bullying; at school, at the workplace and in the Cyber cafes. We bullied Susan Mirfat, Caroline Mutoko and others. Our roads mistreat us by maiming and killing us, our politics and politicians do not care about us….until……we can no longer tolerate each other.
Even as we get to seek to bring down ArtCaffe for their behavior, let us look deeper into our society and try to seek to solve the problems using a medical approach.

 It is not about rudeness or croissants at ArtCaffe. Something is seriously wrong with our SOCIETY.

Comments

Unknown said…
quite insightful I must acknowledge you got all the facts straight without bias nor anger. I overreacted somehow when I read 'black kenyan' as home (kenya) is the only place I never feel categorized - in fact the minute I step out of the plane I stop being 'black'. 'Black' is one term that goes back to historical periods (four hundred yrs ago) when those ships transported slaves out of africa, when our people were dehumanized and regarded as beasts of burden. As a consequence those 'who left' and their descendants have kept this term 'black' as they cannot be referred to as 'africans' anymore (but can chose to be 'african american, franco african...and so forth). In this sense, as an African in my own country I prefer being called 'african' or 'kenyan'. If Artecafe finds my skin too sombre or too unfit to purchase a croissant from their shop then let them beat it - leave the country and go elsewhere where a dark skin does not embarass their clients. Between, croissants are FRENCH, should I suspect the owner is french?
Unknown said…
Israeli owners. The Israeli branch manager is the one who confronted the young Kenyan man with the racist remarks. This is not the first nor second nor third time. Its has happened one too many times and is no longer being tolerated.

Popular posts from this blog

The Kenyan Diaspora Has Been Trivialized And Treated As A Side-line

Before You Relocate.....You May Have To Consider.